Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Good Behavior, Good Fun


Ella Grace had been having a hard time at preschool the couple weeks before her baby brother's arrival. I think the stress of mommy being on partial bed rest was effecting her behavior. It seemed like everyday we were getting bad reports from the teacher. We tried everything from talking to her, taking away privileges, timeouts at school, etc. Nothing was working. Then, thanks to the suggestion from my mom, I started a Behavior Board. I made the Behavior Board with a magnetic dry erase board and laminated clip art printed at home. I glued magnets to the clip art, so that we can move them around or replace them as we find issues that are in need of focus. After making the board, I explained to Ella how it would work. For every day of the week she has certain "chores" or responsibilities. I explained to her that these were her jobs. That mommy and daddy have jobs and things they have to do everyday in order to have the things we have. Ella has to do her job as well. Right now, those are getting dressed for school in the morning, playing nicely at school, listening, eating dinner, and getting ready for bed. If she completes her "chores", then at the end of each day she receives a smiley face for each one. If she does not complete her chores, then she receives a frowny face. It seems to be working. We have had 3 weeks of good behavior at school. And as far as the other behaviors, there has been a dramatic improvement. The idea of a frowny face on display does not sit well with Ella. Just the mention of it and she changes her attitude immediately. As a reward for her 3 good weeks, Ella received a brand new Swing Set. And when she asks for something new at the store, we let her know that she needs to have a good week with lots of smiley faces and we will get her the new toy. This has also helped eliminate the "I want, I want, I want". Eventually, I imagine the board will change into an actual chore board, where it will show feeding the dogs, cleaning her room, etc. At that point we will discuss an allowance. But for now, the smiley face and frowny face idea is working very well for her 3 year old mind. Ella loves her new swing set. She also got a new "sprinkley" for being a good girl. And as Ella would say, I am so "prouded" of her.






4 comments:

  1. I think you will love this board! We did one at 2 with Grayson for potty training, and then when he started not wanting to go to bed at night, we did one for "Grayson is a good sleeper". He gets to put stickers on his chart when he does what he is suppose to do. They have both worked like a charm after about a week of getting used to it. Good girl Ella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember how hard it was for Ava after Addi came home but for us it was months later that it hit and boy was it HARD, but we did get over it like anything else! Glad she's been good & it looks like she has the same swing set we've been looking at hor the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great great great - glad the chart is working! Looks like our swing set!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea. I am so glad that I have you in my life to help guide me on how to be a good mommy once I am blessed enough to become one. You are my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete